Germantown Baptist Church began meeting in 1836. Established twenty-one years before the beginning of the Civil War, Germantown Baptist Church is the second oldest church in the city of Germantown.
In the late 1990s the church moved from its historic location in old Germantown to its current location on Poplar Avenue between Germantown and Collierville.
The old campus was purchased by some anonymous donors and donated to Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary in 1995. In 2006, it was demolished for room to add on to the existing Germantown Methodist Hospital. All that still remains is the original sanctuary.